The Universe Speaks. And Hugs.

Where we come from

I asked someone at work not too long ago if he was the religious sort. He responded, "Spiritual." This seems to be the reigning assessment from us of the ilk who don't profess to know what is going on, but believe something is going on. I don't believe in any organized theology, but in the power of the universe. In her book Unlimited, my fitness hero used science to sum up spirituality (albeit with a somewhat New-Agey bent). Whilst reading the following, I found myself nodding like a bobble-head on the dashboard of a moving car:

     "I'm probably one of the most spiritual people you'll ever meet. Yes, I curse a lot (sound like anyone else?), and I'm tough as nails, but I'm also spiritual. And although I am close to "God", science is at the root of my spirituality. Let me explain.
     "I believe that everything in the universe is made up of energy and information, including you, your emotions, and your belief systems. Your body, your being, is no different in its makeup from the body of the universe, of God or (insert whatever vernacular you prefer). The universe is clearly purposeful with an intelligence supporting its creation and continuing evolution, and we are pieces of this intelligence by virtue of having emerged from it. The energy that you are focusing on this page right now is exactly the same energy that created and sustains our world. At an even more literal level, according to astrophysics, the atoms in our bodies once belonged to stars far away in time and space. In every way, you are the universe, and the universe is you."

Pretty neat. I've had two instances of the universe speaking to me recently - using the voices of people I admire, at just the right moments. Don't you love it when that happens? 

This first instance was at the concert. I've been having a rough go of it lately, (Only Happy When It Rains and all!) and that night was quite literally a shining star my black sky. Between songs, Shirley spoke to us. At one point she said, and I quote, (hence the quotation marks) "Nothing in this life is permanent. And even the shit eventually passes. You have to try and remember that." Because awesome Jenny captured this with her iPhone and texted it to me that night is why I can reiterate it to you verbatim. 

The other instance was just this afternoon... Not quite on the cosmic-hug scale as above, but funny, which makes it worth repeating. I'm a huge fan of Ree Drummond - The Pioneer Woman. I discovered her during an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay, where they had a Thanksgiving Dinner cook-off. Ree's charming, endearing and a hoot-and-a-half. While I don't use a lot of her recipes because there aren't enough hours in the week for me shake the calories off, I love reading what she writes - especially her recipes. She breaks them down with tons of pictures with humorous captions. Today's recipe was Vanilla Orange Monkey Bread. With a name like that - who wouldn't be intrigued? Consider that today's recipe! Anyway... The first pic is of a zested orange, the next pic is of  three cans of Pillsbury biscuits. Immediately the invisible snob string attached to the end of my nose started tugging it upward. Then I read this: "Don't hate. Appreciate. You can try making your own biscuit dough for this monkey bread if your soul desires. But it won't be as good. Hahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Haha. Ha. Ha?" That was the universe cutting the snob string and giving me a shove. One of the many things with which I struggle is my innate snobbery. Thank goodness one area in which my snobbery appears impervious is with people; however it's something I'd like to kick to the curb once and for all! But what is life without a struggle? A boring walk through a vapid, dreary desert, that's what! 

Today at work I managed to make someone's day - the someone who got me back on my blog. I made they're day in the best way possible - I made them laugh. Not just a weak twitter, but a gut-busting, they're-still-chatting-with-me-about-it kind of laugh. They've been having a rough go of it as well- on blood pressure meds and everything. The universe must have been whispering in my ear, because what I did was completely off-the-cuff and sooooooooo NOT PC. But I was, of course very quiet and discreet. I'll set the scene:

There are several alarms throughout the labs in the building. A myriad things can set them off. Alarms were going off left and right in this person's area today; and the alarm company called several times this morning asking for them. They never picked up the call (many people are still having issues picking up calls with the new phone system). They came up front to let me know. I told them to call me after they were paged next time, and I'd be happy to transfer the call to their extension. I can't recall EXACTLY what was said whilst they were glancing at their phone, but whatever it was caused me to channel a scene from Alien Resurrection, when Winona Ryder's ship was looking to dock with the military vessel. Michael Wincott (the gravelly-voice hottie from The Crow and Robin Hood: Prince of Theives) is asked for a docking code. His reply: "I've got your code. EA - TM- E." I spelled this out to my colleague in need of a lift in exactly the same manner. Took 'em a moment, but when they got it they were happier for the rest of the day. That thrill left me with the warm fuzzies for the day's duration!

Care to share with me whence you've heard the universe whisper in your ear?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunker Musings II - Pretty Flowers and an AM Yum

Bunker Musings I - Finding Joy and Gratitude

Dear Rachael