The Week of Ick; Football Sunday Lunch

So how's everyone been??

A horror of epic proportions has been visit upon me! I've not been able to wear eye make-up since last Sunday!


Last Friday the corner of my right eye was uncontrollably itchy. When I awoke to as sore eyelid Saturday I figured it was because I may have been to vigorous with my scratching. Then I noticed the lid was red and puffy. Said deformity didn't abate Sunday, and Monday morning Shiloh and I shuffled on down to the nearby Minute Clinic. The Nurse Practitioner looked at me and said, "You have a stye on your eye." (That was one of my own self-diagnoses thanks to Google.) She gave me drops to administer every four hours while awake and I must put a warm compress on it for 15 minutes 4 times a day. I also can't wear my contact lenses and I had to throw out all my eye make-up. I was able to find a kit of sixteen different colors through Victoria's Secret for a great price. That should be here on Monday, and I've cleaned my makeup brushes. I shall not NEVER forget to wash my face and remove my eye makeup before going to bed, nor will I hold on to eye make up for longer than six months! (The little handout on styes blames their occurrences on bad hygiene (definitely not the problem!), using expired cosmetics, or falling asleep with eye make-up on.)


Shiloh was also kind enough to pass along her cold. Since she was running around like normal - just with a cough and a little more mucous, I figured it I wouldn't be too hamstrung. Wrong! Last week was filled with dreary, stay-indoors weather, so the guilt of going nowhere wasn't quite as biting as it could have been. We did get over to the library for Storytime and stayed for a few hours. My new friend was there and I met another friend of hers. Very nice lady with an adorable three-year-old and five-year-old who just started kindergarten at Christi's son's school! Small world....


Now my engines are thrusting at 90% capacity, the sun is shining and it couldn't be more a more picturesque New England autumn day!I may actually get Shiloh out to the playground since the Pats aren't on until 8:30. I'm hoping against hope that they'll give me a reason to stay up late....


Xo






WHAT'S FOR FOOTBALL SUNDAY?

Lately my favorite indulgence of a meal is a sandwich and fries. But not ANY sandwich and fries. A turkey-bacon melt with guacamole and garlic-herb roasted oven fries. The fries are inspired from the frozen Alexis brand garlic-rosemary fries. I usually don't have fresh rosemary on hand, so I'll substitute about a tablespoon of Herbs de Provence. I recently did have fresh rosemary on hand, and there was an undeniable, fresh pungent punch that dried herbs just don't provide. So if you have it, go for the fresh!


TURKEY BACON MELT WITH GUACAMOLE AND GARLIC-HERB OVEN ROASTED FRIES
Yum!

TURKEY BACON MELT

Makes 4 sandwiches

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

8 slices of sourdough bread
8 pieces of cooked bacon
8 ounces (or so) deli turkey (best either smoked or plain, not honey roasted)
4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup of guacamole (either store bought or homemade)
Butter

WHAT TO DO:

Melt butter either in a panini pan or large skillet over medium heat. Place two ounces of turkey on each sandwich bread, top that with the bacon and cheese. Top those with the other slices of bread. Working in batches, if necessary, place sandwiches in the pan when the butter is sizzling, then cover. Check after four minutes to see if the bottoms are golden. When they're ready to flip, add some more butter before returning sandwich to pan. When both sides are golden brown and the cheese is gooey, remove to a plate, cheesy side down. Remove the side of bread that isn't cheesy and spread 1/4 c of guacamole on the slice and place it back on the sandwich. Repeat with the rest of the sandwiches. Cut and serve with (or without) oven fries.

GARLIC-HERB ROASTED OVEN FRIES

Makes a lot

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1.5 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced longwise
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbs either Herbes de Provence or fresh chopped rosemary
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper

WHAT TO DO:

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large bowl, combine everything, and stir until the potatoes are coated. Spread the potatoes out on two flat roasting pans. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, stopping after twenty minutes to flip the potatoes in the pans and rotate the pans in the oven. When they're cripy and golden, pull from the oven and serve!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunker Musings II - Pretty Flowers and an AM Yum

Bunker Musings I - Finding Joy and Gratitude

Merry Thanksgivanewyear!