A Thank-You Note to Snow & Mummy's Confections

firstsnow

Dear Snow,

A more lovely, festive visage there isn't, than your pristine glittering white blanket draped over everything.  It's been several years since I've had a good visit from you. Last year you made a brief appearance that was quickly forgotten. Today you settled in for an extended stay!

Because of you, the first thing Isaac begged to do was go outside!! He rushed into my bedroom, opened my window shade and exclaimed, "Look, Mommy! It snowed! I saw it first!" (Wink). "Can I put my snow pants on and go outside?"

Isaac asked to go outside?? For a moment I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. But snow, since most of his winter memories are from Southern Arizona, you are exotic and exciting. So I got up, grabbed Shiloh and we all shuffled downstairs. I bundled Isaac up in his snow pants, jacket, boots and gloves then dashed out to revel in your glory. 

My dear friend, whom I haven't seen since August (whence I started my day job) texted me Friday, saying she'd run into Mummy and Shiloh and Isaac at Boomers, and we MUST get together soon. Of course, I agreed. Snow, you were the reason it happened! Her house sits atop a hill overlooking cranberry bogs; she messaged me this morning to bring the kids over so they could go sledding. She mentioned our mutual friend and her kids would also be there. Isaac could barely contain his joy. A happy reunion it was! We hugged and she said, "That last time we saw each other we were in tank tops! Let's NEVER do that again!" Agreed. She even had the perfect idea on how - Sunday brunch! Details to be hammered out later.

If not for you snow, Isaac would never have amazed me and I wouldn't have had a wonderful reunion. Thank you! But don't overstay your welcome.

Very truly yours,



Meghan

MUMMY'S CONFECTIONS

Mummy road the train in to save the day! Well, actually three days, since that's how long she watched Isaac and Shiloh so Ben and I could retain our gainful employment. Such a wonderful visit! It was a mini-vacation for me, to not have to get the kids ready for school & daycare, whilst getting myself ready for work. PLUS she did all the laundry and bought Chinese food Wednesday night, whence my foot pain was so severe I couldn't stand long enough to cook dinner. Oh yeah, AND she filled up my Jeep with gas. Isaac and Shiloh had a great time with their Gammy/Mimi. Since Mummy's sense of humor leans somewhat toward the "wholesome" side, I took a (miniscule) chance and played "Cedar Rapids". I wasn't too worried, though. Even though it's adult, all the "adult scenes" were short enough to set the atmosphere, but not so egregious she'd be uncomfortable. She loved the movie. Of course she did. :)

The other thing Mummy brought with her was the flavor of Christmases past! Warm nostalgia flooded my memory banks with each bite. I was unaware until she shared them, but she got these recipes from her mother! Next year I will procure a spritzer and keep the tradition alive.

Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies

INGREDIENTS

1 c butter, softened and cut into ieces
3 oz cream cheese OR 4 Laughing Cow Wedges
1 c sugar
1 egg yolk; save the white
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking bowder

DIRECTIONS

Set oven temp to 350.

Put everything in a large mixing bowl; stir until everything is incorporated. Divide the doug in half; add food coloring, if desired. Fill a cookie press with the dough and spritz cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet. 

Whisk the egg white in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, coat the cookies. Then sprinkle decorations as desired. Bake 10-12 minutes; or until set. 

CRESCENT COOKIES

INGREDIENTS

2 c flour
1/2 lb of butter
1/2 lb cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
1 lb walnuts, chopped
2 tbsp hot water
1/2 c confectioner's sugar

DIRECTIONS

Mix flour, cream cheese and butter to form a ball. Refrigerate for two hours. 

Heat oven to 450.

Roll out a small quantity then cut into squares. Mix the sugar and walnuts with warm water to create a paste. Dollop the filling in the center of each square. Fold, pinching the edges together. Repeat. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the over and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

Enjoy!

P.S. Apologies again... The snow foiled my original plans of finding something delicious to share before the games started. No Football Sunday recipe today. Fear not, though - there will be one this week as the playoffs are nigh! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunker Musings II - Pretty Flowers and an AM Yum

Bunker Musings I - Finding Joy and Gratitude

Dear Rachael