Hump Day Blurb - Amalgam

Happy Hump Day!

These past days have been an interesting mix of irritation and inspiration...

I've hit my threshold with the second job thing. I'm distraught over the $40 missing from my drawer I mentioned last Wednesday, even though they are going to dock my pay for it. But this past Saturday I didn't run the report that closed out my drawer before the next cashier took the register. Granted, it was only a couple of minutes into my assessing my register whence I realized my transgression - and the other cashier had only completed less than ten transactions. They pulled the report and were able to accurately balance the drawers. But still, I'm now wearing a metaphorical "DUNDERHEAD" sandwich board. Also since then, my constant companion, paranoia, keeps whispering in my mind's ear that the owner is thoroughly disappointed with my performance and is looking for a graceful way to let me go. I would just love to resign and return to my much more pleasant s as a customer, but Ben said I need to stay until I'm no longer a temp at my day job. (Or can gain extra income writing!) We'll see what the future holds...

On to the short story - "Best Served With a Smile". Since it's just manifested itself within the cavernous mass between my ears, only the important bits and pieces are skittering about. The outline: Former high-powered business woman, retired to raise her kids. Husband earns a good income. Woman finds that being a full-time stay-at-home mother isn't as fulfilling as she'd thought, but doesn't think her full-time career would be the appropriate mixer to this particular life's cocktail. She just needs a daily break from baby talk and diapers. She applies for a part-time entry-level admin job. She convinces her employer to hire her even though she's over-qualified. Upon being hired her supervisor warns her about one of her co-workers..... Are you hooked???

Oh, and since I've been wearing flats for the seven days, the foot pain I mentioned last week has gone away. Imagine that...

On to my very own new recipe! It's sooooooooo delicious! Isaac couldn't glom it down fast enough, and even Shiloh mowed most of her before throwning her "poons" (she doesn't say spoon all the time yet) and proclaiming "Dall done!" It's so good, I'm throwing "marvelous" in the title! I adorned the dish with a pretty-little-parsley bow for the close-up. Doesn't she look pretty?



WHAT'S FOR DINNER?


MEGHAN'S MARVELOUS CHEESY CHICKEN POT PIE
 Hello. My name is scrum-diddly-umptious.
Please devour me.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1 3/4ish pounds of cooked, chopped,  boneless, skinless chicken boobies (I sprinkled mine with Lowry's Seasoned salt and grilled on my cast iron Le Crueset grille/griddle; buying pre-cooked is always a faster option)
2 c low sodium chicken broth
2 medium red potatoes, diced
1 handful of baby carrots, sliced
1 c frozen peas
3 tbsp of butter, divided into two and one
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 crimini mushrooms, cleaned and largely sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt, pepper for seasoning
3 tbsp flour
3/4 c shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 c shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 pie crust (make your own or buy from the store - that's what I did)

Preheat the oven to 375.

Pour the broth into a large sauce pot and add the potatoes, carrots and peas. Cook in the boiling broth until the potatoes are fork-tender.

While those veggies are cooking (but before they're done) plop two tablespoons of butter into a dutch over (or some other stove-top-to-oven transferrable dish). When it's melty and sizzley, add the onions and sauté until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic. When that heavenly aroma permeates your senses, toss in the mushrooms. Cook everything for another five-or-so minutes.

When the potatoes and company are tender, transfer them to the onion-garlic-mushroom mixture via a slotted spoon, followed by the cooked chicken. Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into cubes, dollop it atop the veggies/chicken, sprinkle on the oregano and stir. 

Whilst the veggies and chicken are doing their thing, add the three tablespoons of flour to the chicken broth (you removed the Potatoes & Co. from this, but didn't dispose of it). Keep the heat on and whisk until the mixture thickens. Whence it has the appearance of gravy, add the cup-and-a-half of cheddar/Monterey Jac combo and stir. Then pour this glorious concoction over the the chicken and veggies. Mix it all around with a rubber spatula until every piece is coated. After you've stopped sampling the goodness, drop the spoon in the sink then cover this little pan of heaven with the pie crust. Make two slits in the top for steam to escape and bake for 35-40 minutes; until the crust is golden brown.

After pulling it from the oven, let the pie rest for fifteen-or-so-minutes. This should give it enough time to let the cheesy sauce thicken. Spoon steaming scoopfuls into dishes and enjoy! If you can keep yourself from going back to pick at it as it sits on the stove, you have more willpower than me!

TODAY'S CONFECTION

One of the joys of returning to the workplace is the greater number of people with whom I can share my baking. I brought in a tray of cookies, sent out a mass e-mail letting everyone know they were there, and they were gone before noon. One female loved this chocolate chip toffee bar so much she asked for the recipe. I was only too happy to provide it, after of course shamelessly telling her I talk about food on my little bloggy-blog. (I didn't actually call it "bloggy-blog"). Ben wasn't overly impressed when he first tried it, saying it was like a "Congo Bar", or something. I don't know what that is. But after they cooled he had another three. They taste better after they've cooled. I took the recipe request as the neon sign flashing "You Must Share Me with the Masses!!"







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunker Musings II - Pretty Flowers and an AM Yum

Bunker Musings I - Finding Joy and Gratitude

Merry Thanksgivanewyear!