Inspiration Hits Whilst the Family is Away

I'm on my own for the weekend. Ben, Isaac and Shiloh are in Maine with friends who spend a good portion of their summers there. They have an RV site right next to their parents'; Ben and the kids are staying in their parents' RV since they aren't there this weekend. I wasn't feeling well Thursday and Friday and the thought of an eight-hour round trip over two-and-a-half days was exhausting. Also the constant coughing, sore throat and headache didn't leave me in the cheeriest disposition. I had to explain that to Isaac, since he thought I was staying behind because, "Mama didn't want to miss her stories!"

They are having a great time! Ben's photo-bombed me with pics of the kids. I'm glad they went - it'll be nice to hear all about it from Isaac after they get back. There are other photos of Isaac, but he's accompanied by other people in them. I have a strict policy of not posting pics of people who haven't give me permission. (Note to all - I was eventually given leeway)

Shiloh is at daycare here, but she's so
purty I had to include it!
My nickname for Shiloh is "Legs"



Isaac the ham - with a great grin!





Too cute!


















Roasting marshmallows - the best!




Isaac and Marion from afar

Today I ran some errands and started the house cleaning that's sorely needed; I'll finish the rest of my Cinderella duties tomorrow. Last night was when Inspiration's Wand tapped me on the noggin! I was desperate for something that didn't require a lot of effort to put together. I was craving the spinach-mushroom-feta combo that I normally reserve for omelets, but the chopping, sautéing and flipping really turned me off. Then it hit me - pasta! I first reached for the angel hair, then I paused and remembered this linguini with lemon, garlic and thyme mushrooms dish by none other than the luscious, buxom Nigella Lawson and switched gears. I've adored her since even before I knew she was luscious and buxom. I was first acquainted with Nigella via NPR and fell in love with her rich, honey, British accented voice and sublime food descriptives. This woman verbally makes love to food and she reeled me in. Whence I first beheld her glorious visage, that was the cherry on the sundae!

Anyway..... On to my creation. Alas, since Ben took both of his phones with him, and my camera lens is scratched I don't have a pic to provide at this time. I'm also guesstimating the ingredient portions because I just winged it - can you believe that?! Oh, an interesting little sidebar regarding cleaning mushrooms... DON'T rinse them under running water. That doesn't clean them - but they'll soak up the water. Then you'll have water-logged, still dirty mushrooms. Moisten some paper towels and wipe them down.


LINGUINI WITH SPINACH, MUSHROOMS AND FETA




WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

10 oz linguini (I prefer whole wheat)
5 oz package of baby spinach
5 oz crimini mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c of low-fat Feta, crumbled
1/3 c parmigiano reggiano
2 tsp dried oregano
Salt & Pepper, to taste

WHAT TO DO:

Set a pot of salted water a-boil then dump in the linguini.

Whilst that cooks, combine the mushrooms, and spinach in a large bowl. Whence the pasta is al dente (or as cooked as you like) transport the noodles to the bowl with one of those forked scoopers, that way there's plenty of moisture to wilt the spinach and tenderize the mushrooms. Mix together with tongues, adding pasta water by the ladleful, if necessary, to expedite the tenderizing-wilting process. Drizzle in olive oil. Then sprinkle minced garlic, oregano, feta and parmigiano reggiano over and mix.  Divide into bowls then mangia! 

SERVES:

4 - 6






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bunker Musings II - Pretty Flowers and an AM Yum

Bunker Musings I - Finding Joy and Gratitude

Dear Rachael